New Year, New Goals

Sorry for taking so long to update the MTG Whale blog, I know you've missed me! OK well, maybe not but a guy can wish right? So it's a new year, 2022! Right now we are seeing a return to more in person events so the team and I have been planning on decks and travel.
I have finished up most of the sorting of cards as I posted about before, almost everything is scanned in, I have to redo Gold and Lands, and I have decided what decks I am actually going to build! All of them! Well not all of them exactly but I am building five different decks and buying the missing cards for several other archetypes so I can do quick swap outs. 

The first decks I worked on was bringing the two decks I had built to modern standards. Mainly that was just swapping in a few cards here and there. We are still debating on what to do with Mono G Tron. We moved some of the sideboard cards into the main deck and visa versa, the big question is if we should add in Baby Karn or not. This is honestly going to require testing and right now we are focusing on other decks. The other deck is my Mono G Devotion, as much as I like this deck, I think the Meta is not right for the deck so it has also been delagated to the gauntlet box for testing.
So what did I decide to play? Well, I have bought all of the cards needed to play Izzet Murktide, Hammertime, Red Deck Wins, and 8whack. See if was only slightly exaggerating when I said I was building everything! To be fair the Red Deck Wins and 8Whack are being built primarily for my sons to play during events. Even with my trouble with Monkeys, my primary deck is going to be Izzet Murktide which is an interesting mix of self mill, blitz, control, and midrange. Honestly I think this is why I think the deck is so dangerous, it can switch how it's playing midgame and it doesn't affect the deck much.
I haven't had a chance to pilot Hammertime yet, I just finished getting the cards in for it right before I had to get back on the road. But it looks like it'll be a fun time running. The downside to switching from commander to modern is I have a lot of card in singleton but they tend to be premium versions. As an example I ended up getting 3 additional Grand Prix Stoneforge Mystics as I owned 1 ready and it was slightly cheaper to get 3 of those than to buy 4 pack versions. As you can see in the picture above I'm only missing two or three cards right now. All of the expensive cards have been purchased or in my collection already. 
In the coming weeks I will be playing the new decks during testing and I'll give my thoughts on them. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time to Get This Sorted Out

That MTG Bicycle